Saturday, December 17, 2016

Alban Arthan 2016

Oh, these dark and dreary days! Is it any wonder we cover the front of our houses with lights and bring trees inside as if to keep them from freezing?

Alban Arthan is upon us.



Alban Arthan is the Welsh name for the winter solstice festival. It's all about the Light -- getting it back and powering up for some big work ahead.

Alban Arthan sometimes relates to King Arthur, who lies asleep in his mountain, waiting for a day when he will be needed again to re-establish peace in a warring kingdom. It also refers to the Great Bear, that constellation that always shows us the North.

This year I'm thinking more about King Arthur. I will call upon him to arise.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Either way, I have to be willing to become a keeper of Excalibur myself.

We are entering a period of great national (and by extention, international) peril. Everything we have come to count on is now at risk. Being a woman of a certain age, with grown children who no longer need me for survival, I have to be willing to do my part to fight back against the Darkness.

Are you with me on this?

I don't even know what I will be asked to do in the coming years. I do know it will be uncomfortable, expensive, time-consuming, and perhaps fruitless. Nevertheless, it must be done. This evil man, and the evil men and women he is promoting into power, can only get the momentum to wreak havoc if all the people who oppose and disdain him sit back and watch the train wreck.

So this year, on Alban Arthan, I will heed a call to action. The barbarians are no longer at the gates. They are in the halls of power. I will not bend my knee to them, oh no, not me. Where's my sword?

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Well said!

anne marie in philly said...

HEAR HEAR! FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE!

Lucretia said...

I am definitely with you on this one!

And you can borrow my extra sword. They're both hanging in my front hall. Seriously.

yellowdoggranny said...

I"m with you.waiting for the call to battle.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You know, of course, that I immediately thought of that sketch from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" -- the two peasants arguing with King Arthur about systems of governments. "Oh, now we see the violence inherent in the system. Help, help, I'm being oppressed!"

Davoh said...

Um, dunno about you lot up North ... but self thinks that the notions of the Ancient Festival of Saturnalia still hold relevance ... meh

Wishing you all a Merry Festive Season.