Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Briefly the Empty Nest

This day comes for all. For me it's been coming in fits and starts. My daughters are trying to navigate a difficult labor market. Trust me, it's like sewing together a crazy quilt -- part time job here, part time job there, minimum wage because you're doing what you love ... and for poor Heir, one last year before she has to get Obamacare and pay off college loans.

All the same, she has found a room in a house in West Philly. The Heir is going to launch.

The Spare has a less-than-posh apartment in Center City Philadelphia, where she will live while she finishes her final two years of college. She has received heaps of financial aid but will still have five-figure loans to pay off herself.  But that's down the road.

For one month, before Extra Chair returns from China, Mr. J and I will be empty nesters. That will be weird. It's not like my daughters have needed to be coddled over the last few years, but they've been around.

May the Goddess protect them. May they walk in the Old Ways. May they become themselves, "like the tadpole, its time come, tumbling towards the slime."

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Best of luck to both your girls in this big ol' world. And congrats to you on their successful launch into adulthood!

yellowdoggranny said...

you and Mark raised 2 smart and beautiful funny daughters..they will do fine..you and Mark? not so sure about.cutting the apron string is more painful then cutting the umbilical cord.

greekwitch said...

The best of luck and the warmest and brightest of blessings to your lovely girls.
I hope you will find ways to make this transition easier for you guys!
Many hugs!

Stacy said...

It's a very stressful time for college students/graduates. I just graduated in May and my loans are starting to mock me...glare at me...crush my soul LOL!