Monday, July 01, 2013

Chac Amok

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Oh, my, for the love of fruit flies! Mr. J went out for a walk, and the sky has just opened up and it's pouring ... again!

We are in a stationary pattern here in the East. Every day, at any time, we could have a cloudburst. It's so humid that, when it isn't raining, it's like walking through Elmer's glue.

For those of you who don't believe that God is the only deity responsible for flooding and drought, you might attribute extraordinary rainy weather to Chac the Rain God, sacred to the Mayan peoples. Chac is a bored god who can be petulant. And let me tell you from experience: If you ask for him to go away, he rewards you with raining-cats-and-dogs deluges.

It is best to make peace with Chac and tell Him what a great job He's doing. I learned this the hard way, so I'm passing a little free advice along to you. (And remember, in this economy, free advice from me means I have to pay you to take it, so send me an invoice.)

It appears that Chac will be accompanying me on my annual binge pilgrimage to Four Quarters Farm Interfaith Sanctuary this week. Yes, Chac and I will be spending four soggy days camping. There are several excellent swimming holes in this sacred space, but the threat of flash flooding, and the reality of high water, might keep me out of them altogether.

All through Four Quarters Farm there are shrines to various bored deities and to the faeries. I think I will erect a shrine to Chac, making sure to place it near the optimum water line at creek-side. Perhaps this will pacify Him to some extent. He certainly will have the company of many and varied bored gods.

All of this is my way of saying that we of The Gods Are Bored will be on retreat this week, so enjoy the Fourth of July! Columbia bless America!

No comments: