Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Unexpected Feel-Good from Facebook

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" It's a beautiful afternoon. Time for a walk!

But before I do ...

About two weeks ago I started a Facebook group. It quickly became a forum for arguing and vitriol, which made me feel very, very bad. So I shut it down. I may moan and bitch and rant here at "The Gods Are Bored," but I don't like to argue. Done with that.

Two days ago I joined a new Facebook group dedicated to my hometown. And what a pretty, fun group it is indeed! It's called "You Know You're From ______ If You Remember ..."

Tells you something about where I grew up. All of us geezers are reminiscing fondly about the farms and sno-cone stands and flooded quarries. And our school teachers.

So I uploaded one of the videos of my dad doing his science experiments. He taught school in Hometown for almost 50 years. And here's one of the replies the video got:

"This is the best posting I have seen on this page. He's exactly as I remember him from 1967 or 8. My brother got hooked on chemistry and went on to get a Ph.D. in Chemistry. Thank you for putting this up. Please do it again as more people my age get on here."

My dad went off with the faeries in 2005, but not before leaving behind a great deal of good in this world. As you can see from the picture, he was pretty much half-faerie when he was alive.

2 comments:

Wizardess said...

That is the best pic!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It must be so nice to know how your Dad affected his students! What's that saying? "Teachers touch the future."