Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hollywood Loves Us

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," your instant cure for the Monday Morning Blues!

Okay, I know. Yeah. Even TGAB can't cure the Monday Morning Blues. But we do try.

My Sunday afternoon options were two: get groceries or go to the movies. Wow. That was a tough call. The Spare and I went to see Avatar in 3-D.

I had to drag The Spare. She doesn't like science fiction. For that matter, I don't either. Unless it has an underlying message that is anti-corporation, anti-missionary, and pro-Goddess. For the love of fruit flies, Avatar delivers on all fronts! No wonder it has so many right-wing pundits foaming at the mouth!

Do movies influence the way we look at the world?

I'm old enough to remember the very first Star Wars movie. I was a teenager when it came out in 1975. I remember seeing Obi-Won Kenobi in his brown robe with his Wisdom of the World demeanor, and at that moment I began to question the status quo. To this day, when I'm at the end of my rope, I say, "Help us, Obi-Won Kenobi. You're our only hope."

To that famous quote I will now add: All hail Ewah. Long may She reign. Let us be kind to our own Rock, and to the Rocks of others.

I'm Anne Johnson, and I approve Hollywood's liberal bias.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm not a sci-fi fan, but I AM a Goddess fan. Maybe I should see it after all.

greekwitch said...

I am with plainclothespagan! bb*

Anonymous said...

Ummm, sorry to correct a minor point but the first Star Wars movie came out in 1977.

Maebius said...

Well, i'll admit I am a sci-fi geek AND a goddess fan. So of course I loved the movie.

It's worth seeing ,jsut for a ooh pretty factor alone. The story was a bit shallow in my view, and rather predictable, but the immersiveness of the experience is why I want to see it again. Totally drew me in with the Pandora-by-Night scenes.

You want a touch of Magic in film, Avatar might do it, even if only for a moment. A co-worker of mine and I were talking about the film and the comment was made "Oh, so that's what you pagan/druid types mean about the world around you". /facepalm.

Nettle said...

I was disappointed in the shallowness of the resolution, but my hopes were probably too high anyway - it is Hollywood, after all. Maebius has it right with the gee-whiz bit, though - I suggested to him that they should have just made it a documentary and dispensed with the storyline. I'd pay 12 bucks for that! Prettiest movie I ever saw that wasn't narrated by David Attenborough.

yellowdoggranny said...

I can't wait to go see it..

Alex Pendragon said...

Well, I'm sorry, but the touchy-feely solutions to violence made popular by Christ, Ghandi, etc costs alot of lives and dignity before you see any real payoff, so, yes, the downtrodden and those who can emphathize with same will enjoy a certain satisfaction in seeing the oppressed rising up against all odds and actually delivering a BIG can of whoop-ass against those who oppress them. You see, your run of the mill oppressor LOVES the peace-and-love-and-non-violent protest types because they are so easy to gun down. Those of us who dodge and weave and don't go quietly into that dark night give oppressors heartburn and makes their oppression bittersweet, which is the one true thing which eventually gets the job done. Yes, Avatar is "superficial", but Avatar is exactly the chronicle of how this scenario would have played out, so, sorry, but sometimes we like our vengeance served cold, so we can reclaim the warmth for our own children.